Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Where do we go from here?

A couple weeks back I was in church and the title of the sermon was "Where Do We Go From Here?" It was all about the state of the church over the past year, how the millenial generation is one of the loneliness, and the digital age that we live in. It touched on a lot of important things, but the one I'm posting about is simply the title: Where Do We Go From Here? I find myself at another set of crossroads and concerns and this question is at the forefront of my mind.

I was laid off two weeks ago, exactly. It didn't come as a shock to me at all, because A) It was only temporary to begin with and B) They had been steadily running out of work for me and sending me home early. I saw it coming before it happened. Needless to say, I hit the ground running for the job hunt. Last week alone I must have submitted around 30-40 job applications. This week it has already been an additional ten. I know it's only a matter of time before I get hired on to something permanent and it being something very good. Yet, the lack of requests for interviews is concern number one.

Money, and the lack thereof, is concern number two. Cost of living is crazy high and with the reduced hours (and now the complete lack of them), money is exceedingly tight. I've begun looking on Craigslist for proofreading gigs, but so far no such luck. I've considered getting on unemployment, but I have a feeling I will run out of money far before that would kick in.

The third concern is female related. There's been a certain girl who I have been courting and things have been going smooth. She left for a trip last week to Europe and I have been getting messages from her at least once a day. Until a few days ago when they suddenly stopped coming. This, above all else, is my primary worry. I'm trying to tell myself that she's probably just caught up in it all and busy; or her phone disappeared, but I can't shake the nagging worry and doubt that something may have happened to her. 

Right now I have entered a period in my life where everything is entirely uncertain. The future is nothing like what I thought it would be even a month ago. Yet, not all of the changes have been bad. This thing with my lady friend came out of nowhere and things have been moving quite fantastically. Also, a major development is that I was invited to start posting articles on LinkedIn, which I have begun doing so. This is a massive shot in the arm not only for my career, but for my writing, as well.

I know that I'm just going through another one of life's transitional phases. The metaphorical rollar coaster ride has hit some curves and I just have to hold on and make the most of it. Oddly enough, despite all the uncertainty that I am facing, I have little doubt that I will prevail and excel. I've got this. Now all I have to do is hang on until things smooth out.

No comments:

Post a Comment